1.The salutation ‘good bye’ came from « God bye » which came from God be with you.
2.“So-long” came from the Arabic “salaam” and the Hebrew “shalom.”
3. Seoul, the South Korean capital, just means “the capital” in the Korean language.
4.The name of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with.
5.There are only four words in the English language which end in “-dous”: tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.
6. The dot over the letter ‘i’ is called a tittle.
7.The symbol on the “pound” key (#) is called an octothorpe.
8.The word “lethologica” describes the state of not being able to remember the word you want.
9.In English, “four” is the only digit that has the same number of letters as its value.
10. Q is the only letter in the alphabet that does not appear in the name of any of the United States.
11. The word “trivia” comes from the Latin “trivium” which is the place where three roads meet, a public square. People would gather and talk about all sorts of matters, most of which were trivial.
12. TYPEWRITER, is the longest word that can be made using the letters only one row of the keyboard.
13. The word “Checkmate” in chess comes from the Persian phrase “Shah Mat,” which means, “the King is dead”.
14. The sentence “the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog” uses every letter in the English language.
15. The most common name in the world is Mohammed.
16. The longest word in the English language, according to the Oxford English Dictionary is:- pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.
17. The only other word with the same amount of letters as it is its plural:- pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconioses.
18. The longest non-medical word in the English language is FLOCCINAUCINIHILIPILIFICATION, which means “the act of estimating as worthless”.
19. The longest one-syllable word in the English language is “screeched.”
20. The longest place-name still in use is: ‘Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturi
21. pukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwe-nuakit natahu’ it is the Maori name of a hill in New Zealand.
22. The longest place name in the UK is Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, it means The name means: “St Mary’s church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave”.
23. Mafia in Old Arabic means ‘sanctuary’.
24. Karaoke means ‘empty orchestra’ in Japanese.
25. Rhythm” and “syzygy” are the longest English words without vowels.
MoroccoEnglish.com’s webmaster, High School teacher of English, from Nador and currently working in Bouarfa city. A BA degree holder, from Mohamed first university in Oujda .
Leave a Comment
Together to Keep This Platform Free and More Secure for all
Unlike many ELT resources platforms, we haven’t put a paywall.
We want to keep our website as open as possible for you,
and for all the world teachers who believe in the teacher’s noble message.
Editing and preparing content besides the technical management of the website,
takes a lot of time, hard work and money to produce.
We need our readers including you dear teachers and learners all over the world to fund us,
so that the future this platform would be much more secure. Support us for whatever you can by clicking on the button below.